Tuesday 20 May 2008

Tuesday 20th May Day 104

Well, its been an emotional day for various reasons. I'm feeling very let down with my milk supply. I haven't come this far to give up but I can't do much about it any more, Im taking domperidone and expressing regularly. Ive hit the wall again and am so exhausted now, we have finally reached the end and I think I am going to flop over the finish line rather than jump over it!
Niamh was sick this morning, she brought up some of her feed. She has really bad nappy rash, so much so that the skin is broken. It looks really sore. She has a little red rash under her chin too, poor little thing! Niamh was given some steroids today to mature her lungs so we can start weaning her off the oxygen. She may need to come home on minimal support after all, we will wait and see.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bon

You don't know me, but your blog is the first thing I read when I come to work in the morning. Your doing a wonderful job and I am sending you all the strength I have can to get you through this tiring time.

Paula (mum2lachie eb)

Anonymous said...

No matter how you get over the finish line, even if that line is closer then you'd like, you have done an amazing thing by pumping for your baby.

Low milk supply was one of my problems, particularly towards the end of DD's stay in the NICU. It had always been my intention to go home in a blaze of breastfeeding glory. I'd intended to breastfeed for as long as Erin wanted to. Alas, by the time we went home I was just glad she was taking a bottle, I didn't care what was in it.

It was hard for me on the one hand to let go of the one normal thing I so desperately wanted, but in the end, having her home was more important. I'm not saying you should give up, this is just how things were for me, you need to do what's best for you and your little one.