Thursday 22 May 2008

Thursday May 22nd Day 106

The end is nigh!!

We have heating!! Woohoo! About time too ;) Now Niamh will be lovely and toasty (or warm and cosy as Bailey likes to say).

Ive been flat out today, ironing, washing, packing our bags (yippee)! I set up the bassinette and now have to go out and pick up the cake and get some groceries. Its 3pm already, the day has flown by! Bailey is in Child Care thankfully, it would have been a nightmare while the installers were here as the front and back doors were open all the time.

Niamh is doing great today, still off oxygen and doing well and feeding well! I am really missing her but just wont get time to go in today now.

Better get moving!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Phew! Thank goodness thats all done! Havent quite finished putting washing away etc but it will wait. Im so excited and nervous at the same time! I cant wait to see Niamh tomorrow. I had almost forgotten about her eye test in the morning, I really hope that is all ok too, the final hurdle! She had been feeding well today and breathing well too.

I cant believe this is finally coming to an end. I know things will be different for us and her due to her being premature and life hasnt't finished flinging these little challenges at us, but I truly believe we can get through anything together now. Niamh has astounded us with her strength, we have been very lucky to have such a robust little baby. I have met many wonderful parents who have faced far tougher challenges than we have but still manage to cope in some way.

The nurses in the NICU are very special and have been magnificent in getting Niamh to the stage she is at. She spent 11 weeks in the NICU and I met some wonderful nurses there and felt a great rapport with some of them.

Niamh flew through SCBU 1 and only spent a week there! She had her first bath there and her first bottle feed. The nurses there and in SCBU 2 have been fantastic in getting Niamh to bottle feed and get her off the gavage. She has really progressed quickly, and certainly much quicker than we ever imagined. We didnt expect to be taking her home two weeks before her due date!

I could rave all night about how perfect she is and how much we love her, but I won't lol! I would like to thank you all so much for your support, your comments, emails, texts, meals, clothes, ironing, gifts and valuable Bailey sitting!! It is all very much appreciated and I have been totally overwhelmed by how much you all care and have looked after us, both physically and emotionally.

I will let you know when we are home. xx

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Its been said before, and I will say it again - she is such a little fighter!
Looking gorgeous with no tubes too :p
Good luck over the weekend, I am sure the staff with LOVE the cards and cake etc!! Cant wait to see the homecoming pics - and then maybe even get to meet her!!! (one day!)
I am so pleased to see you have had another surge of "energy" re the expressing, Sas said it all just right so I wont repeat it all. Just know that whatever she gets is helping her - and once your home I am sure it will get easier!

So excited for you,
Love
MM

Anonymous said...

awesome weight gain, love the photo with no tubes! best wishes for the coming days and soooo look forward to seeing the pics when she arrives home. xxx

Anonymous said...

Have a great weekend with your little family :)
Looking forward to hearing about how it went, next week I guess. LOL.

Can't wait to see pics once you're all home together, won't that be wonderful. I've really enjoyed reading about your journey. Thankyou

Anonymous said...

Good luck this weekend, not that you'll need it of course!!

So great to hear your spirits up!!

jobear86

Anonymous said...

Just had to say love the pics with no tubes :) She is divine as always!!

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you this weekend. Very exciting that all four of you will be home shortly. Can't wait to see the pics :)
xx

Anonymous said...

Weird.
That last comment was from me but it published itself while I was still typing my name in :-P

Anonymous said...

Will be thinking of you this weekend Siobhan!

Hope all goes smoothly for you and can't wait to hear how it all went!

Can't believe she is coming home 2 weeks before her due date!

Once again, she is a fighter and a true miracle!