Sunday 27 April 2008

Sunday 27th April








Niamh is doing really well. She is regulating her body temp quite well although I did cook her this morning when she had her feed! Poor little thing, I had to strip her down while I changed her nappy and redress her in cooler clothes. Its really cold here today but its warm in SCBU. We had another good feed, but we gave her a top up gavage feed (through the NG tube) as she got quite tired. The funny thing was though, when I had changed her and wrapped her up, she was awake for ages! She was looking around and playing with Wookie :) She has the prongs back on for some oxygen but it just wafts up her nose rather than having prongs up there. Its a shame she has to have tape on her face again, but hopefully she will get stronger and not need it at all. The doctor came round this morning and was very happy with her.

I also met up with my old buddies from NIC 2, it was great to see them and really touching to hear that they had texted each other when they saw Niamh had joined their daughter and was in an open cot!

Its amazing how different I feel now that Niamh is in SCBU, I feel like a great weight has lifted off my shoulders. I actually think I was starting to lose it a little. Yup, crazier than usual, hard to imagine, I know :) I was getting very over sensitive though feeling really trapped as though we were never going to get on the home straight. Its hard to prepare yourself when you don't know whats coming up. Anyway, enough rambling, have a good Sunday. I will :)






-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
9.19pm

I phoned for an update, all is good and Niamh is back in air again as her oxygen sats were so high. She has slight dips but so far, so good. She is sooo close to being in air all the time. No bradys either which is great, they are not nice to watch. She had one this morning and went quite blue but recovered quickly. I must be getting used to them now as I just sat her up, whipped off her wrap and tickled her tummy to stimulate her. I held her chin up too to help her breathe. They teach us baby CPR before we go home, think Ive had a crash course already! We are looking at getting an AngelCare monitor. This is going to be a very different experience bringing Niamh home, I will absolutey be paranoid lol!

7 comments:

Saskia said...

Oh look at that!

She looks like a real little newborn in there, all snuggled up and cozy, oh how gorgeous. Seriously, I just want to eat her up!

Its no wonder you were feeling crazy in there, its a tough gig babe, now you have a whole new set of challenges to face and are moving forward at a rate of knots!

Have fun decorating the room, and enjoy the anticipation of bringing your little girl home. It won't be long now, you are over half way and on the home stretch - literally!

Sas xx

Anonymous said...

Wow look at that chunka bum.

She looks so adorable in her big girls cot.

You are nearly there Bon.

Soph said...

Oh gosh - look at her!! :D She looks so happy and proud of herself...as she should be - can just imagine the grin on your face Binbin, seeing her in her 'big girl bed' ...on the downhill run now matey xoxo

Anonymous said...

Hi Siobhan-
I am so glad little Niamh is doing so well, i have been following her progress daily. She is gorgeous.
My ds wasnt prem but he used to have bradys for the first 12 months of his life.. we had an angel monitor But were advised they dont always work 100% (sorry dont want to alarm you) We hired a colymetrics machine from hospital for 12 months and used it whenever ds was alone or asleep.. we also were closely monitered by apnoea clinic/peads...
Anyway its food for thought..
wishing you and little Niamh all the very best. xxx hugs foxari

ps feel free to pm on eb foxari- if you need to ask me anything.

Anonymous said...

Bonnie, she looks so much more comfortable and relaxed in her wrap. So glad to hear that the feeding is going well - you are a true hero to have stuck with the expressing for all this time and it is certainly paying off !

Enjoy getting her room ready, it really won't be long now before she's there with you.

Take good care gorgeous,

Jo xxx

Anonymous said...

Hi I've just stumbled here from EB and after seeing your latest pic of Niamh, I felt I just had to comment. She is such a gorgeous little thing, what a great pic!

I'm sending you and your family prayers and lots of good vibes!

Anonymous said...

wow, you sound like you have worked in nicu all your life with all your knowledge of bradys, CPR etc. Here's hoping Niamh will never need you to use those skills when she comes home to her comfy cot at home! She looks wonderful, so pleased that you are feeling the weight lifted to. Awesome job you guys. xxx to you all,.