Saturday 26 April 2008

Saturday 26th April

Well, Niamh has settled into SCBU nicely! We had a great, first visit this morning and Niamh had her first breastfeed! She fed for 15 minutes with only one minor desat which she sorted out herself. She was a natural! We used a nipple shield to help her latch on but she was a natural at it once she got started. 15 minutes was a phenomenal amount of time for her, we weren't sure if she would last five minutes as it is very hard for her to breathe, suck and swallow at the same time and she gets very tired. She was breathing all by herself in normal air and no oxygen was given at all. When she went back into her isolette she fell fast asleep :)

I just phoned for an update and she has now gone into an open cot and is desatting nicely. As long as her oxygen levels stay above 88 they are happy with her. They were mostly 90+ when she fed so just brilliant! I can't believe our little miracle, the doctor said yesterday that she is a 'Once in a lifetime baby" Thank God she is ours, we are so lucky. I can't imagine the pain that parents go through that haven't had it as easy as us, we are definitely one of the very lucky ones. I'm so grateful.

Its wonderful to be out of NICU2, I was starting to feel a bit claustrophobic, it really is intense this intensive care lark lol. The nurses all do a wonderful job though, they have been brilliant.

I wish we had taken a photo today, but with a very excited Bailey in tow thats not so easy. He came in when I was holding Niamh and said hello nicely, he touched her on her head really gently. I think he will be good when we come home. Anthony then had to distract him while I fed Niamh.

The fun really starts now. Niamh will initially have one breastfeed a day which I obviously need to be there for so the visits will be carefully timed and worked around and there are no more days off. Im glad I made the most of the last two Tuesdays to stay home, I knew it would ramp up soon. Im not sure how I will deal with two feeds a day, that will be interesting, wish I lived nearer the hospital. I think I will have to hang around a lot. Would be easier if she was my first. Still, I'm determined to breast feed so I will find a way.

Have to prepare for dinner guests now :) Back tomorrow afternoon. I have to be there at 9.30am for the first feed and then we are taking Bailey to the trains again.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, ok, so Im back already! I phoned for another update as Im a bit anxious now she is out in the big wide world so to speak. She is still doing well in air and was maintaining her temperature well too. I have to go and sort out clothes to take with me tomorrow, she is outgrowing things very fast now! She had a brady when she had her feed earlier but the nurse said she gave it much slower next time. I hope she's ok.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another update, I know, I can't stop phoning lol! Niamh has now been put back on a 'whiff' of oxygen. She was having a few bradys and desats and had to work too hard so a bit of help was needed. She is having a bottle feed at Midnight, hope it is more successful then the five minutes she did yesterday.

I have sorted out a pile of clothes to take with me tomorrow and have labeled them all. Ive run out now so am looking forward to getting the ones I ordered from our Childcare fundraiser, thanks Sarah!

Going to bed now! Night night.

9 comments:

Saskia said...

Binnie,

honestly, I just can't even begin to express my happiness for you. I feel so much love and excitement for you and your family and the amazing journey you have been on.

Wow.

Its so fabulous to hear how well you are doing, and the exctitement in your 'voice'.

You thoroughly deserve to be the mother of a 'once in a lifetime' baby. I could think of no one better than you.

Much love from me to you

Sas xx

Anonymous said...

Awesome news to see Niamh in SCBU and having a boobie feed. She loves Daddy giving her a pat - that is such a good photo. Glad the brain scan was good too. So many positives- brilliant!!!

Almost 2 kgs!!! She'll be catching up to Stephen in no time ( who is now 8.8kg!)

Anonymous said...

Bon Bon,

Just when I think the news cannot get any better! WOW!!! That is such awesome news that Niamh fed for so long, I just cannot get over how fantastic this is all going! My heart is pouring out love to you all xoxoxoxox

lolliegirl said...

Binnie, what amazing news to read and what an amazing little (big!) princess you have there.

I am so, so proud of Niamh and I am so proud of you too! As Sas said, you throughly deserve to be the mother of a 'once in a lifetime baby'.. You are an amazing lady and an incredible mother (and a pretty awesome friend ;))...

You're on the home stretch now my friend... You are all still in my thoughts and prayers..

Love B...

Anonymous said...

Siobhan had quite a tear tonight when I logged on and saw your news. If the big move wasn't enough, for you to be able to give her a breast feed must have just been amazing.

Your little(?) girl is just doing so very well - a truly remarkable baby for a truly remarkable mum.

Well done,

Michelle
xx

Soph said...

Ahhhh Bin- I am in tears here atm reading about Niamhs progress.... Bubblet in a lifetime indeed!! She *IS* a Giddy Kiddy after all ;) ....I am just SO proud and happy and none of us have ever had ANY doubt that she would pull through like the trouper she is...she takes after her mummy after all!! Let me tell yousomething Miss Binbin, if you haven't takne note after all these mths - we all think you are just themost AWESOME chickadee - you are amazing Bin, your strength, your love, your fierce pride and devotion - all has shone through through out. I know it has not been easy, I know there will still be tough times ahead, but I just want you to know that you are just an amazing woman and we are all soooo proud of you, and Bailey and Niamh are lucky to have you as their mummy - and I just wish I lived closer, coz I just want to squeeze ya!!!

MWAH!!! xoxoox

Anonymous said...

That is such wonderful news. Another Giddy with tears!!

I am so in awe of you with the feeding. I can only imagine how difficult the last few months have been and to finally get a 15min feed must have been so surreal. Such a momentous occasion and one that must have once seemed an eternity away and at times an impossible dream.

Honestly Soph said everything I am feeling/thinking and more. So what she said :-P

Niamh looks brilliant. Such a gorgeous cheeky smile already :-)

lots of love and hugs,
Susannah
xx

Siobhan Royle said...

I love you all too Giddies, I also wish you lived closer, and my family too. Could hug you all to bits! I don't think Im special, Im just coping the only way I know how. Keeping busy, busy, busy lol! Im just damn lucky to have been given Niamh, shes the amazing one, she gives me strength, not the other way around. I can't wait for you all to meet her!

Anonymous said...

OMG! She is doing truely amazing!

I cant believe how much she has porked up, and is nearly at 2kg. She is so strong, and congratulations on the Boobie feed! 15min is HUGE!