Wednesday 23 April 2008

Still Wednesday 23rd April, Evening

Lots of news today. I found out why Niamh came early! I had an infection in the placenta which is why my mebranes ruptured. Phew, at least there was a reason and not just my body rejecting her. After all we went through to keep her in, I got an infection, makes no sense really! My doctor said that if we wanted another one I should have blood tests to check my antibodies etc and that I would need to inject heparin again and take asprin. I may also need a stitch in my cervix to see if that would help. I would expect bedrest at some point too. Not sure if we are going back for number 3 just yet though :)

The magic word has been mentioned! SCBU! Niamh is 6th on the list and it could happen at any time! The wait is due to staffing levels so whenever its a good time, off she goes! She is doing so well on the cot oxygen, its at 23% so very low. It would be great to get her off it!

Well, I must go to bed, I dont think there was anything else to say, she is off the antibiotics. The swab results indicated an infection, but she is fine. Eye test so far seems ok but a repeat in two weeks. Brain scan appears fine as we have not heard otherwise but we havent spoken to her doctor yet. Nothing on the report though so fingers crossed thats all good too.

There was another 23 weeker born yesterday or today. I really feel for her poor mother. I hope she does well :)

Well, its time for bed, night night and thank you for all the lovely comments, I love reading them and it spurs me on.xxxx

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I logon every night to see how Niamh is doing. I can't believe how much she has grown. It was really evident in your story board. She has lost her premmie look and looks just like a healthy, chubby little newborn. Her little cheeks are really filling out. I'm so glad everything is going well. Hope you feel better soon!

Anonymous said...

I cannot get over how much she has grown! She is really starting to loose that Preemie look, and is starting to look fat.
It amazes me how strong she is getting, breathing on her own at nearly normal oxygen levels. She really has exceeded where I had even hoped she would be by now.
Please look after yourself. You have, and still are going through an amazing and unique journey that I have not, and hope never to have to experience.
I am glad you have an answer, and that it was something that just "happens". That part I have some understanding of, and I know the pain you can feel as to wondering if something that happens to your child is because of you.
Bit hugs to you all and God Bless.

Anonymous said...

awesome progress little Niamh. Will be great when she can upgrade to SCBU. she is doing so well. Good news that you know what caused everything ( at least in terms of the future). Hopefully you can share your journey with the new mum of the 23 weeker.
Can't describe how pleased we are that all is going so well. xxxx
Tan

Anonymous said...

WOW! I am just addicted to this blog, never fails to make me smile. :)

Look at those chubby cheeks! Soon Niamh will catch on what sucking is good for (Milkies! ) and she will be heading home in no time! It seems to snowball very quickly once they have their first 'real' feed.

All the best to your family...and much love to little Niamh.

Anonymous said...

I too log on every day to see how little (or not so little now :) ) Niamh is going :)
She is gorgeous and I am sure she will do great things in this world.

Colleen

Anonymous said...

Wow Siobhan she has grown so much - I had to look twice tonight when I saw she had nearly hit the 2kg mark!! And to be talking about moving her out of NICU is nothing short of amazing. What an incredible little fighter she is to have done so very well after being born so early.

She doesn't just look like she has put on weight, she actually looks so much stronger and healthier as well. This blog is a real gift for her and your family and will be something she will no doubt treasure in years to come.

Thanks for sharing her with us!!

Best Wishes, Michelle xx

Anonymous said...

Binnieeeeeeeeee!!! Niamh looks AMAZING in those photos, I really cannot believe the difference in her! I am so proud of you and the strength you have, you have come such a long way, not too much longer to go now. All my love to you guys and baby Niamh. (I cannont wait for cuddles come Jan!)

Mish
xoxoxoxoxox

Anonymous said...

Oh, I have just shed more then one tear at your precious girl yet again.

What a beautiful sweet girl she is. It is SO great to see that precious face without tubes. I bet you are just soaking her all in. I know I am ;)

xxxxYosemiteSam