Tuesday 4 March 2008

Tuesday 4th March


Bailey has his childcare day today, so I can go to the hospital and know that he is taken care of all day which is nice. The day started with dropping him off and then arriving in time for the parents coffee morning. Its nice to catch up with the other mums and have a chat and swap notes. When I went to see Niamh she had had another unsettled morning. She had been a bit up and down but settled while I was there which is not unusual for her, I think she is trying to tell me something :) I helped the nurse do her cares which was great and even got a small, sneaky hold of her while I lifted her up so her sheet could be changed.

It was highly unlikely she would be taken off the ventilation today as the ward was so busy. Three more babies were expected to arrive, and two did while I was there. Once Niamh has be extubated and has the CPAP on she will need to be left and monitored and it was too busy for that today. I think she was going to weighed, but that was after I left. She was also too fragile for a cuddle unfortunately, but there will be other times.

I had the strangest experience in Spotlight today (fabric and craft shop). I was buying some fleece to make a mini blanket for Niamh and got chatting to everyone in the queue (as you do ha ha)!! One lady was telling me I could get $5 off if I was spending $25 (which I wasn't) but then we got talking about what we were making etc etc. I said I was making baby blankets for my daughter and it transpired that she had just made a hat and booties for her friends son who had been born prematurely and was in NICU at WCH!! It turns out that the baby is Niamhs neighbour and I knew the mum and had been chatting to her! What a small world, but thats Adelaide for you. Another lady in the queue had had two premmies herself 30 years ago, but unfortunately neither had survived. They were 34 weekers too, so it makes me realise how lucky I am that Niamh is born now with all the technology that has been developed. The poor woman was quite teary so it was a very unexpected trip to Spotlight!

Photos later, I need to make a start on this blanket!

3 comments:

Soph said...

Happy to have caught up with 'our' Niamh today. Fingers xx'd she gets a chance to show her determination without the ventilator tomorrow if there is a slower day.
Loved your Spotlight story - amazing who you can run into and get chatting to at times - tell me though? Where are you finding the energy to make a blanket?? You're amazing Bin xoxo
Hope you are going 'ok' and fingers XX'd that Niamh just keeps going from strength to strength xoxo

Siobhan Royle said...

Thanks Soph, the blanket fabric is still in the bag lol! Ive almost finished making our own matching wookies though,just got to sew on some ribbon so not doing too badly. I think the key to the energy crisis is not to stop! Just keep moving until I drop into bed! :) I was going to make the blankets tonight, but All Saints was on!

Soph said...

"Just keep swimming....just keep swimming...." ;-) Can't wait to see the matching wookies :D
Take care now xoxo