Thursday 20 March 2008

Thursday 20th March








Another good day for Niamh. She was pretty stable the whole time I was there today which was great. I was there most of the day today, did Niamhs cares for her which was nice. I washed her hair as it was looking quite sticky poor little thing. I changed her nappy which was interesting lol, she was quite prolific in emptying her bowels, I had been warned it had been projectile overnight, and they were not wrong! Amazing, tiny little creature, hope she didnt loose too much weight in the process ;) She looked bigger to me today, probably just my imagination, but she is growing everyday. She wont be weighed until tomorrow, I put that she was 910grams on her growth chart, but its actually 930g, not sure how I got that wrong, but anyway...

I spoke to her doctor today who is keen to try CPAP again, hopefully on Sunday if all goes to plan. We are excited about this and are very hopeful this is her last and final time off the ventilator. She is more mature now (6 weeks old today or 29 weeks +1 corrected) I can't believe we have been doing this for 6 weeks already!

I spoke to the counsellor who was very nice, he said I was quite normal (yeah, right, whatever, rofl)! I am just feeling overwhelmed by everything and have too much on my plate. I knew that and guess I just have to deal with but Im feeling much better today anyway. I think I just needed a meltdown and a few have said it was about time!

The 6 week mark is apparently when a lot of people hit the wall. You are running on so much adrenaline and it just suddenly hits you, the enormity of what you are going through. We never really thought Niamh would make it and didn't even have time to even consider that possibility before she decided to make her entrance. We had no idea what we were dealing with and just had to get on with it. Nothing can ever prepare you for this whole experience and I think we are just learning as we go.

Anyway, on a lighter note, more gifts!! :)

Thankyou to my gorgeous friend, Leoni who sent Niamh a beautiful Easter present, some mini MCN (Modern Cloth Nappies) which I love, and a lovely hand made bunny. There was also a cute little gift for Bailey too. Thankyou so much xxx



I also bought a T-Shirt to raise money for the NICU and SCBU wards at WCH. They are so cute, I cant wait until Niamh can wear it! I bought her two in sizes 0 and 1 so that should do her a while!

3 comments:

NatR said...

Bon, Cant beleive how much Niamh has grown, she looks so much bigger in the photo you posted. I said "wow" out loud. I so happy she is doing so well, and the weightgain is fantastic.

lolliegirl said...

The Dr said you were 'normal'??? ROFL!!!!!! How can that be?? LOL! (Just kidding.. You know I loves ya ;))

Niamh's weight gain is fantastic! I am just so proud of her. She is looking stronger and stronger each time.

Lovely gifts from Leoni and cute little t-shirt to raise money. What a good idea..

B...

Anonymous said...

I can't believe how much bigger she looks!! Her face has really filled out - I also said "wow" out loud when I saw the pics.

I'm sure it won't be long until she is part of the 1kg club.

Michelle
xx