Friday 14 March 2008

Friday 14th March

I just phoned for an update, our little porker is stacking on the weight! Look over there <--- Hopefully its not all fluid as her milk has gone up to 5.5mls now ;) Niamh is still much the same, up and down. We will go and see her tonight as we are treating Bailey with a trip to the market. He loves the little handmade gingerbread men there so we thought that and a babycino would go down a treat! We will go and see Niamh with him after.

I'm missing her lots at the moment, especially since I know it will be all day until I see her! I feel really guilty, but Bailey has a playdate with his friend today and its really good for him to do his normal things. Bah!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Baileys playdate was good this morning although I did feel bad not going to the hospital, anyway we did go this evening although it didnt quite go as planned. In fact it was disastrous!

We went to the market but decided to grab an Indian at a restaurant, rather than the food court, wrong choice! We were hoping for a quick meal but it turned into a mammoth wait for the food.

We had to take Bailey for a walk twice, there was a bit of metal in the rice (turned out it was from a metal cleaning brush) and the food had been sitting so long under the heat lamp it had formed a skin! It was 40c here again today and still stinking hot out there so we were uncomfortable and watching our visiting time tick away. Not exactly the ideal night out. We ran out of time to go and get Baileys gingerbread men but luckily he didnt know as we hadnt mentioned it!

We had about 20 minutes to visit by the time we got there! Niamh looked gorgeous though and it was lovely to see her. We left the camera in the car unfortunately so not even that went to plan lol! It looks as though she did have some water retention and she was given a diuretic so the weight gain probably isnt a true reflection of her porkiness. Hopefully it wont be that different when they weigh her tomorrow. She has had a 12ml blood transfusion and has started on iron for anaemia. She also had some bloods done and is showing a slight infection so they will repeat those in the morning before starting any more antibiotics.

Poor little mite, still not that great really and still up and down. We will have some more time with her tomorrow. Oh, and Bailey tried to shout through the portholes again but we didnt let him open them. Instead he shouted very loudly "WUFF OOO NEEEEVE" rofl :)

Night all and thankyou for all your comments. Its lovely that complete strangers would write such warm messages, it means a lot xx

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow Siobhan, she's really piling on the weight now, how fantastic is that?

Enjoy your day with Bailey :)

Anonymous said...

Hi, my name is Megan and I found out about Niamh last week through Essential baby. I just wanted to say that Niamh is absolutely beautiful and that my thoughts are with you and your family. I will be reading your blog everyday to see how your precious girl is going.
Megan

Anonymous said...

Hi there Siobhan

I have been following Niamh's journey since day 1. Every morning when I turn on the PC, I click on your BLOG to get my daily Niamh fix.

I had a 30 weeker back in 2004 and although I can't compare to what you guys are going through, I do somewhat understand the NICU journey and how hard things can be at times.

It is very up and down and you will have very low days. It is only natural. Please don't be to hard on yourself.

Day by day is the key.

Niamh is doing so amazingly well. She truly is a miracle girl. She is so adorable and before you know it, she will be home with you.

Please also don't feel guilty if you can't get up there everyday. Bailey needs you at the moment more than Niamh. She is in very good hands.

Looking forward to the day you can take her home..

And lastly and most importantly, Congratulations on the birth of your beautiful little girl.

She truly is a blessing...

Caroline (~*Caroline*~ from EB)

Siobhan Royle said...

Hi Megan and Caroline, thank you so much for taking the time to comment, I really appreciate it! How many weeks did you spend in NICU Caroline? Thats still 10 weeks early! Scary!

I do feel guilty, like I mustn't travel too far from her, but I had a little cry on the way there and with my friends and felt better.

Bailey had a ball so it was worth it! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Siobhan

I've been keeping a keen eye on Niamh's blog for a week or so now(found it through EB)and it is such a highlight to see her weight gains and the gorgeous photos of her that you post. She really is a beautiful little girl, incredibly precious and strong.

Just thought you would like to know that you are in the hearts and minds of total strangers and your strength is truly admirable!

Leoni said...

Hooly dooly Bon, Niamh must have heard us when we said pork up lol That is FANTASTIC!!!! Best news I've read all day ;-) We might need to change her name to Oompa Loompa soon lol So now her little lungs need to get stronger so she can retry CPAP ;-)

Please don't feel bad for taking a little "break" my goodness woman you have been running from pillar to post for everyone else this past week, its ok to have a little "me and Bailey" time. So I give you FULL permission to enjoy, you hear! You are doing a fabulous job with both your kidlets under the most stressful, trying times ever. Naimh will be sleeping/resting/getting fat anyway while you have your outing. Besides, a little secret I want to share with you, if you managed to get a little sleep, perhaps have a bit of a laugh and be a bit more relaxed then you will be transmitting those good vibes across to Niamh when you visit her. She will def respond to that, babies pick up on "vibes" pretty quickly, no matter how tiny they are.

Anyway, give our itty bitty giddy a big kiss and have a fab weekend with your family.

Cheers,
Leoni

xxxxx

Anonymous said...

We spent about 3 weeks in the NICU and then another 7 weeks in SCN. We were at the Mater in Brisbane.

Mitchell spent approx 3 days on C-Pap and was never on the ventilator luckily. He was just extremely IUGR and just early. It was mainly just a matter of him growing and learning to feed.

We were extremely lucky.

Whereabouts are you?

lolliegirl said...

I am sure I posted a comment here this morning!! Where has it gone???

Anyway, It's fantastic to see her stats going up and up! Way to go Niamh!!

Much love to you all as usual :)

B..

Anonymous said...

Hi Siobhan

I'm another EB mum who has been coming in to hear now little Niamh is going, she is amazing and going so well...I haven't missed a day since you started this blog. I wish her all the best and look forward to hearing the day you get to take her home....She is piling on the weight...GO GIRL!!!!!

Please don't feel bad for needing that "me" time and "Bailey" time(love the name lol I have a Bailey too) just take day by day and you will get there....

big hugs and I wish all of you the best

Anna

Anonymous said...

Hiya Bon,

Sorry to hear that the visit didn't go quite as planned today. Niamh does sound as though she's doing really well though. Bailey is such a cute big brother, I got a bit teary at the mental picture of him yelling out "WUFF OOO NEEEEVE" !

Take care of yourself lovely and enjoy the weekend.

Jo xxx