Thursday 13 March 2008

Thursday 13th March

I'm glad I called this blog "Day by Day' because it really is.
Today was a much more positive day in the NICU for Niamh. I don't know what changed, if anything, but she did seem to be better. Niamh's milk is now back to 5ml/hour and she is tolerating it well. I changed her nappy which had leaked down her leg, so it's obviously getting through!
I also washed her hair today and cleaned behind her little sticky ears so hopefully that made her feel better. I also gave her a massage with some sorbolene as her skin was so dry. I love being able to do little things to make her more comfortable.

Niamh is no longer on the anti-biotics and so her canula has been removed, freeing up her arm which must be a relief for her. The plan at the moment is to give her more chloral hydrate to keep her sedated and to increase her lung pressure if she has an episode. It seems she is in the habit of holding her breath which is causing her all sorts of problems!
She has gained another 20grams too, which is great! We may be able to give CPAP another go next week when she is bigger and hopefully stronger.








6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Am so glad to hear she is doing better Siobhan. And yay to the weight gain! I love the photos you've put up today. I know I've said it plenty of times before, but I'll say it again, she is gorgeous!

I bet she is feeling much better after having a little wash and massage and getting her canula out.

Still thinking of you and your family Siobhan.

Stay strong little Niamh.

Anonymous said...

Bon I bet Niamh loved having you caring for her like that, as it should be :)
I hope she is bigger and stringer next week so she can try the CPAP again xoxoxo

Anonymous said...

Bon, I'm so glad that she's had a good day. The photos are lovely and she really looks as though she's putting on weight and growing bigger. Take good care of yourself gorgeous. Lots of love to all of you,

Jo xxx

Siobhan Royle said...

Thank you girls, lovely words as always xoxo

Anonymous said...

Hi

I am an eb member and have been following your beautiful daughter's journey

I just wanted to say she is absolutely gorgeous!!

All the best

Leoni said...

Niamh is looking super cute Bon ;-) I love these pics too, she is starting to "chub" out and looks bigger than what she does in the other pics. I know she's still very tiny, but compared to 5 weeks ago she has REALLY grown! Judging by her stats I see I am right. Wow 5 weeks, what a trooper! I am happy to hear she was having one of her "peaks" yesterday, here's wishing more stability and weighgain for her.

Have a fab day with her today and great weekend.

cheers,
Leoni
xxxxx