Thursday 21 February 2008

Thursday February 21st


I am two weeks old!

Edited to add: I am back to my birth weight of 570g as of 20/02/08!

What a busy day! I know some of you have been checking in for news, sorry its taken so long. Tony hasn't been well, so its been a hectic evening on my own trying to get everything done. Bailey didn't get to bed until 8.45pm which is late for him, we got chatting to the neighbours as we went for a walk to the post box. We then ran out of milk so I had to dash up the shop before it shut at 9pm, then bring in the washing, put out the bins etc etc. Ive left the dishes as I wanted to update Niamhs blog and then I am going to bed!

Well, the important thing is that Niamh is doing quite well. She was a bit delicate this morning but perked up when Kate, a professional photographer came to do a photo shoot. Thankyou so much to Lisa for arranging that :). Little miss struck her poses perfectly and seemed to enjoy herself. We are going to have a real drama queen on our hands I think :) Kate was wonderful and I have already previewed some of the photos and they are fab! Kate is from a charity organisation called ACOCP (Australian Charity of Child photographers) They photograph stillborn babies, premature babies and sick children and are fabulous!

Niamhs feeds were increased today to 2ml/hour and she was handling it well. She also needed a blood transfusion today to top up her levels so had a temporary cannula put in. She was given pain relief in the form of sucrose. Apparently in babies younger than 3 months sucrose gives them 5 minutes of relief and enables short procedures to be performed. It certainly didn't seem to bother her which is very good.

The head paed said that if we get Niamh on full feeds next week (4ml/hour) and she handles it well, we may be able to get her off the ventilation! That would be great! She would be put on CPAP, for more information read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positive_airway_pressure

Bailey was a bit more unsettled today but I think this was because he was tired. He slept for 3 hours when we got home and was very cute when he woke up!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a few things to share with you! My aunt (Thank you Aunty Katy) sent me this lovely card today, well, ok this is the back of it lol, but look Giddies, look what it says!!!!! Our Itty Bitty Diddy Giddy has her own range of cards! My eyes nearly popped when I saw this! :)



My friend Kelly sent this card and I thought Niamh might be able to wear this little bodysuit, it would almost fit her! :) Its a beautiful card.



My good friends in Sydney sent me this beautiful bunny, not only is it a lovely soft toy for Niamh, but it also comes with naming rights to a Star! We will choose which star we would like, and where and we receive a certificate from the International Star Registry and a Star Chart. I cant wait to have a look and pick one out for her, she is our very own Star!




Another friend in NSW sent this beautiful, tiny little top for Niamh to wear. Amazingly it is still a bit big but she will grow into it! I put the pen there so you can see how narrow it is ;)



My sister sent this cute little bunny (Thanks Suzy)! It is the perfect size to put next to Niamh and I will use it as a measure as to how much she is growing. It is probably the size of her tummy at the moment :)


4 comments:

Soph said...

Oh Gawd Bin - what a day!! You must be feeling so overrun atm - imagine all those peeps trying to get in contact with you to find out how "our" Niamh is ;-) (I promise not to text you tomorrow!!! lmao)
All the pressies are just so special - what a great response you have from your friends...So glad Niamh is fighting so well too!! We always knew she was going to be stubborn - look at her mumma!! ;-) Hope Tony is feeling better soon and you can share the burden a lttle more. Take care Binbin and much love to you all xooxoxoxo

Leoni said...

2 weeks!!!! Wow where has the time gone, can't believe its been 2 weeks already Bon. What a run-ragged day you've had, I was tired just reading your update! Hope Tony feels better soon, he's probably feeling rundown too.

LOVE the pressies Niamh received, my favourite being the Giddy card, how fluky is that!!! It really made me laugh that one. Gorgeous pic of Niamh, can't wait to see the proff pics taken ;-) Glad to hear she is doing so well, keeping every body part crossed the little minx has stacked on some weight this week, I bet you she's grown!

Anyway, gotta run, you take care of yourself ok, don't want YOU getting sick. Washing/housework and dishes can wait, it ain't going anywhere.

cheers,
Leoni
xxxxx

Anonymous said...

Bon she looks so adorable in that little hat!!! That is so cool abut the Giddy card!!!

Off to work now, will be back tonight for an update. happy 2 weeks to Niamh xoxox

lolliegirl said...

Awww.. the hat looks adorable on her. Sorry to hear that Tony isn't well. Looks like Niamh has received some lovely gifts and I love the 'giddy' card too LOL!

B...