Friday 5 September 2008

What a week!





Wow, last week was a shocker!! Bailey was going through a very interesting stage last week which was challenging to say the least. Niamh was also quite ill, I hurt my knee and was feeling about 90 and it just got worse!

On thursday night (August 28th) Niamh seemed to get worse (she had bronchiolitis again) so I took her in to see her lovely doctor (again) who wanted to admit her. I must admit it came as a bit of a shock and when they put her on oxygen again I was devastated. I hate seeing her beautiful little face covered with tape and tubes and she was most unhappy about it too. She was so miserable and I had a good cry too :(

We had a nurse on Saturday afternoon who thought we should wake Niamh up every two hours to feed her smaller amounts, this was passed onto the night staff to continue. It was a very, very long night. Poor Niamh, inbetween being woken by the nurse, the alarms beeping (or rather shrieking) every time she wiggled (I had never realised how often our little girl wiggled) and her coughing we did not get enough sleep. By 6.30am the nurse realised it was too much for her and said we should stop waking her now. It took for Niamh to be unable to feed as she was so exhausted to come to this conclusion and I was not happy. I must admit I let them know this too, I was completely frazzled and frustrated! I just wanted to take her home. Thankfully we had a really good paediatrician who could see my point and he let us go home. He is also Baileys paed which was good as he already knew us.

When we got home, Niamh had a good feed and then slept for five hours! She was worn out poor love. We bought a vaporiser on Tuesday and we are amazed at what a difference it has made, she is so much better. You can hardly hear her little chesty purr now! She has been smiling a lot this week and is so gorgeous. She is still wearing newborn/0000 clothes and now weighs 5kg! (11lbs) and is 13 weeks corrected (or 7 months) Incredible!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

She is such a gorgeous little poppet - as is Bailey. I've been checking your blog frequently and following things prior in EB. I'm so thrilled that all is going so well for Niamh (despite hospital visit recently). Aren't vapourisers just amazing. Best wishes to you all.

Alina0210 said...

She is such a cutie... i have been reading your blog since you had her as we were in the same Due Group on EB. its great she is doing so well.

Anonymous said...

Its great to hear she is going so well :) Pictures were lovely, both your children are gorgeous!

And wow to how small she is (even though she has come such a long long way!!), I think you forget how little until its put down and you can actually imagine it.

Your doing a fantastic job!

xxx

Saskia said...

Hey Binnie

Love the pics! she is so darn cute! especially in her tights..

Looks like you are doing such a great job with her, and I am so glad you are out of hospy now.

Congrats on having done so well with your little gal, she is truly amazing and so are you for keeping slightly sane during this whole last 7 months - you are a star!

sas xx